Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage
This review is part of our best chinchilla cages 2020 review series.
The Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage is a three-tier cage made specifically for chinchillas.
This cage is just right for one chinchilla to live happily and comfortably with the space to play with their favorite toys and accessories and several surfaces to climb and jump from.
The Dreamhome is comparable to models that cost significantly more than this cage and is a great budget-friendly starter option.
Made for Chinchilla ( 7 / 10 )
The Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage measures 24”x17”x38”, and while not a small cage, would only be ideal for housing one chinchilla.
The cage comes with two plastic shelves and two plastic ramps which are good for jumping and climbing.
The powder-coated steel cage is non-toxic and protects against rust and corrosion. This cage comes with four locking caster wheels for easy moving.
While most other chinchilla cages, like the Deluxe Critter Nation, the Chinchilla Mansion or any of the Prevue Hendryx models, require you to purchase a separate scatter guard, or resort to a DIY guard, the Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage already comes equipped with a plastic scatter guard which will help contain litter, bedding and waste.
The cage comes with a plastic pull out pan for easy cleanup and a metal grate above the plastic pan.
- Although the Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage boasts it is a three-tier cage, they consider each shelf a separate tier. So, in reality, this cage is one single tier with two shelves/perches and the bottom “floor”.
- The cage comes with two plastic shelves and two plastic ramps. It is recommended that the plastic parts are replaced with wooden shelves and ramps, or covered with fleece to prevent your chinchilla from chewing through the plastic.
- The plastic pan sits below a 1”x1” metal grate which may not be the best option for your chin’s safety and comfort. A safer solution is to remove the metal grate and allow your chinchilla to walk directly on the litter, or bedding, in the plastic pan to avoid injuries to their feet. However, the pan is made of plastic and can be a chew hazard if your chinchilla is an avid chewer.
- The vertical metal bars are spaced 0.8” apart. This should be small enough so your chinchilla cannot escape. However, at close to 1” of spacing, if you have a young or small chinchilla you may want wrap chicken wire around the cage until they are big enough to no longer escape.
- The cage comes with two easy squeeze front doors for you to access the inside of the cage, and so your chinchilla can easily enter and exit the cage. The doors are on the smaller side and you may have to check the sizes of the accessories you have, or plan on purchasing, to ensure they will fit. Otherwise, you will have to remove the top portion of the cage every time you want to rearrange or deep-clean.
- Even though this cage was made with a chinchilla’s needs in mind, the metal grate on the bottom of the cage can cause serious injuries to your chin’s feet including getting stuck, broken bones and bumblefoot, thick calluses that can lead to infections. It is recommended that you remove this grate and allow your chin to walk directly on the plastic pan. Or, you can cover the grate with a number of chinchilla-safe materials like wood, Plexiglas or fleece, however you would not be able to use the plastic pan below it.
- The plastic shelves and ramps give your chinchilla ample space to play and jump, but if you do not give them enough chinchilla chew toys, you may find them chewing through the plastic parts. You can replace the plastic shelves and ramps for wooden or metal parts to prevent your chinchilla from chewing through the accessories.
- The attached caster wheels lock for your chinchilla’s safety. This is especially important to protect the cage from curious pets, small children and accidents.
- Because of its height, this cage is only recommended for one chinchilla to live happily and comfortably. With more than one, your chins may not have the space they need to run and jump freely.
- The two front easy squeeze doors are simple for you to open and close for quick access to the inside of your cage. The two doors secure enough that your chinchilla will not be able to open them and escape.
Ease of cleaning ( 7 / 10 )
The Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage comes with a plastic pan that easily slides in and out of the bottom of the enclosure.
This pan can hold the litter, or bedding, of your choice, and collects your chin’s waste for quick and easy disposal. It is recommended that you remove the metal grate above the plastic pan for your chin’s safety.
This cage is one of the few on the market that comes with a scatter guard. This scatter guard helps contain the litter and waste and help keep the floor beneath, and around, the cage cleaner.
Cleaning the Cage
- The manufacturer does not provide any specific instructions for cleaning and sanitizing the cage. So it is recommended to stick to a mild soap or a pet-safe cleaner, like Arm & Hammer or Nature’s Miracle, to prevent any damage to the cage or any harm to your chinchilla.
- The powder-coated steel bars can be wiped down with a soft rag and mild soap and water or pet-safe cleaner.
- The two front easy squeeze doors gives you access to the interior of the cage, although it may get a little tight when reaching into the back corners to clean the scatter guard. However, you should be able to easily remove the shelves and ramps for occasional cleaning with water and mild soap or a pet-safe cleaner.
- Like most other comparable chinchilla cage setup, the Dreamhome comes with a plastic pan that can easily slide into the bottom of the cage to hold bedding and collect waste. This pan should be washed with a mild soap and water or a pet-safe cleaner at least once a week.
- The highlight of this cage is the plastic scatter guard that already comes with the enclosure. Most other companies sell the scatter guard as an add-on or accessory and many people choose to build their own. The scatter guard wraps around all four bottom corners of the cage containing much of the litter and waste that always find its way to the floor.
- Be wary of the plastic scatter guard if you have a chinchilla that loves to chew. Your chin may be able to chew through the plastic through the metal bars.
Versatility ( 7 / 10 )
The Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage comes with the basic accessories that you need to give your chinchilla a place to feel safe and comfortable, but also enjoy!
The plastic shelves can be adjusted to better fit your chin’s preferences. The ramps can be moved as well, or you can remove them completely if your chinchilla loves to jump from perch to perch.
This also gives you more room to attach other fixtures and accessories.
- Currently, the manufacturer, Encompass All, does not sell an add-on unit for this cage. So, if you plan on adding to your chinchilla family in the near future, you may want to consider a cage that can be adapted or a larger model.
- You can remove the caster wheels attached to the bottom if you prefer to have your cage sitting on a flat surface.
- Encompass All does not sell any accessories of their own, but this cage is large enough to fit some of your chinchilla’s favorite furnishings and toys. The front doors are just large enough to fit most basic accessories, and you can find a large selection of cubes, huts, hammocks, tunnels, exercise wheels and dust baths online and in pet stores.
- If your chinchilla chews through the plastic pan, you can contact Encompass All to purchase a replacement pan.
Value for money ( 7.5 / 10 )
If you only have one chinchilla and are looking for a budget-friendly cage, with a few minor adaptations the Dreamhome Heavy Duty Cage can be a great option to start with.
For under $100, this cage was planned with your chinchilla’s comfort in mind. The 38” tall enclosure gives your chin plenty of room to climb and jump to and from the two plastic shelves that come with the cage.
If you have a chewer, you may want to replace the plastic parts with wood, which does add to the budget. You can also purchase ramp liners online or you can remove the plastic ramp completely, giving your chin more room to jump.
While other models like the Chinchilla Mansion and the Deluxe Critter Nation provide more space and opportunity to personalize your cage, with the Dreamhome you can give your chinchilla a happy and safe life for a fraction of the price.
The cage is quick and easy to assemble, although the instructions can be tricky to read, and does not require any additional tools.